July gets off to a great start with Mercury ending its retrograde on the 1st at 8:50 a.m. He’ll be at 240 Gemini. As I said in my June Astro Doings, one of the reasons this retrograde was so powerful was that Mercury is in his own sign. Planets can express their energy much more easily when they’re in a sign with similar energy. (We call that the sign the planet “rules.”) So we’re all likely to feel a rush of clarity and things will move forward more smoothly. Good news, eh?
Mercury is not the only planet changing directions in July. The week of July 20 will be a busy one with both Saturn and Uranus changing directions. These two planets represent opposing modes of operation. Saturn is the planet of restriction, lack, delay, old age, ego, and fear. He brings us lessons to help us grow. He also represents structure, the status quo, corporations, etc. Uranus is the destroyer of form, promoter of abrupt change (not always wisely), and inspiration from the higher mind, “ah-ha” moments and lightening bolts. To continue their contrariness, Saturn is ending his retrograde motion that started in March and Uranus is beginning his retrograde motion that will continue until December 21 (the Winter Solstice). Saturn goes direct on July 20 at 4:36 p.m. at 160 Scorpio and Uranus goes retrograde on July 21st at 10:53 p.m. at 160 Aries. With both Saturn and Mercury going direct this month, I believe that energies that have felt “bottled up” during their retrogrades will begin to be released and those “internal” issues that we were all working on during the Saturn, especially, retrograde will be resolved.
July has some other interesting astrological doings:
- Jupiter – the largest planet in our solar system, representing optimism, quest for higher truths, and good fortune – is moving into Leo. Attention all those with Pluto in Leo, aka Baby Boomers. This is a great time to become more aware of our deepest fears and blockages (Pluto) and let the solar fire (Leo, ruled by the Sun) bring creative resolutions to all of them so that we can express (Leo) who we truly are (Sun). Jupiter makes his “big” (Jupiter never does anything small) move on July 16th.
- Mars moves out of Libra into Scorpio on July 25th. Mars is the “ancient” ruler of Scorpio, so he is quite comfortable in this sign. You can use this energy (Mars) to deepen (Scorpio) your understanding of yourself and others. However, you can also find yourself in power struggles. While Mars will leave the Cardinal Grand Cross, Mercury and Venus will “fill in” from July 21 – 24 (Mercury, asking us to think differently) and Venus (the planet of love and beauty), now in Cancer, opposed Pluto in Capricorn from the 25th – 31st.
- From July 13- 31 there will be a least four or five planets in water signs. The element of water is associated with emotions, feelings, and psychic experiences. We all may find ourselves more sensitive – in all sense of the word – during this period and we may find that our “hunches” or “gut feelings” about things are more frequent and accurate.
Lest we forget the Luminaries. . .
- The Sun enters Leo on July 22nd at 5:41 p.m. Leo is a fire sign, and male in its feel. Inspiration, creativity, self-expression, enthusiasm are all part of this wonderful sign. Remember too that Jupiter will be right next to the Sun expanding Leo’s zest for life. Leo is truly the sign of the child – most especially the Divine Child – within in each of us. May we take this time to cultivate a nurturing, positive and creative relationship with our Divine Inner Child while the Sun is shining so brightly in this sign that it rules.
- The Full Moon occurs on July 12 at 7:25 a.m. She’ll be at 200 Capricorn, which is about responsibility to others. The Sun, of course, is still in Cancer, a sign of nurturing. The key to this full moon, which is still in earth/water signs so the energy is feminine in its nature, is to balance nurturing ourselves and others, as well as assertiveness and self-direction (male) and support and compassion (female). This full moon can show us where we are out of balance – and certainly as a society we’re totally out of balance with feminine energy. This full moon is echoed by Venus’s (also in Cancer) opposition to Pluto in Capricorn.
- The New Moon occurs on July 26th at 6:42 p.m. The moon will be at 30 Leo, obviously right next to the Sun, but to Jupiter as well. It’s a time to connect with everything that makes us shine, inspires us and helps us to bring joy to ourselves and others. Leo is a lot about play; so let’s go for it!
Have a great July!
Peace and abundant blessings,